The Big Read 2012 focused upon the gospel of Mark, again written by Tom Wright (see his welcome video here).
Lent in 2012 started Wednesday 22 February, running through until Easter (46 days) on Saturday 7 April. Tom Wright’s book took us, with readings, through until 14 April.
Always wanted to ask Professor Tom Wright a question?
The #BigRead12 will launched with an online Q&A with Professor Tom Wright, 1-2pm, Tuesday 21st February 2012, with material still available to download.
Spaces to have ‘Bigger Bible Conversations’
We hope that your church leaders will adopt #bigread12 as a whole church programme, but there’s nothing to stop individual groups, newly formed groups (from across denominations), or individuals joining the conversation.
- Bex’s housegroup are ahead of the game, and blogging each week – we’d love to see others do the same.
- Lay Anglicana is experimenting with an online house group (see entries).
- We would love to gather conversations, blog posts, etc. from across the digital spaces.
- Daily readings/challenges presented… please do participate (you can see ahead of the game)!
- Pam’s Perambulation
- Fuzzy Thinking
- Dundee Whisper
- Graham Crosby
- Matthew Hyde
- Emma Major
- Faversham Baptist Church
- Dean Robert’s Blog
- Richard Hall Connexion
- RTG Minding the Gap
Would have liked to have happened:
- @drbexl and @willgrady looked at having a weekly conversation with 5-10 people on Google+ Hangout, looking back over the previous week’s content/conversations, but this didn’t happen.
- @drbexl and @premierradio looked at the possibility of crowd sourcing the Gospel of Mark as an infographic. We think this would have captured the attention of @mashable if done well!
Weekly Housegroup Materials
All the materials are available free to download directly from this website. All the media required are embedded in each page if you are using the materials in an area where you are internet enabled:
- The ‘Menu’ structure
- Housegroup themes (we provided a lot of advice for housegroup leaders last year)
- An exciting panel of ‘reflectors’ for each week’s theme
- Week 1: Preparation (22/2/12)
- Week 2: Echoes (29/2/12)
- Week 3: Expectations (7/3/12)
- Week 4: Challenges (14/3/12)
- Week 5: Signposts (21/3/12)
- Week 6: Finale? (28/3/12)
- Week 7: Transformation (4/4/12)
Stream the audio-visual Materials
Download the Materials
All of the materials are available free for download from 12Baskets, including audio, video and housegroup notes, so that they can be used in areas with no internet connection.
Advertising the Event
Publicity materials are available in PDF format on this website. Download. Print. Display.
Access the editable PhotoShop file of the Big Bible logo (behind which you could put your own image, to demonstrate that you’re partaking).
Purchase the Book
The Revised Common Lectionary readings are outlined here.
- Specific readings for Tom Wright’s book are listed here.
- Daily materials from 12Baskets (free newsletter sign up)
- Participating Bookshops
- Download eversion from 12Baskets
- Purchase/Review on Amazon (UK) (US)
- A ‘Sneak Peek’ at the book (day one reading)
- Use the hashtag #bigread12 in Tweets and other social media.
- Blog entries tagged #bigread12 on this blog.
- Daily ‘conversation starters’ will be provided on the newsletter, the blog and other social media for each day of the Big Read.
- A number of our #digidisciple(s) have agreed to ensure that their posts have relevance for #bigread12.
- Event sign up: Facebook (Big Read); Facebook (Launch Q&A).
- Join ‘the crowd’ on ‘Plancast‘, or check in your geographical location.
Alongside our own daily actions, we want people to think about what they can do differently over Lent (hopefully developing habits for the longer term), and so will be linking to: Tear Fund Carbon Fast 2012, 40 Acts and Christian Aid actions.